Monday, March 12, 2012

I Heart Portland

I recently had the opportunity to visit one of my best friends in Portland, Oregon – and it was lovely. I’ve been to Portland many time and I’m always enchanted – this trip, my first in over two years, was no exception.

I was visiting my friend Nicole (who I’ve known for 18 years) and her delightful family. We had a great time eating, shopping, and going to the ballet.

 Day One – Lots of Buses

First we went Tasty n Sons for lunch. I had the best roast beef sandwich I’ve ever had.
Roast beef at Tasty n Sons
Yum! 
Then we went vintage clothes shopping in a bus…yes a bus. The shop Lodekka is located in an old double decker bus. I found a lovely 1950’s dress for summer. I can’t wait to wear it. 


Vintage Dress Shop Lodekka
Later we had dinner in a bus…yep, dinner in a bus. We had grilled cheese sandwiches at the Grilled Cheese Grill, which is one of Portland’s many food trucks with a permanent location. The dining room was a converted school bus. The grilled cheese was mediocre, but eating in a school bus was fun.

Day Two – Giselle and Ice Cream

On the second day we attended a matinee of Giselle preformed by Oregon Ballet Theater. The performance was designed for children and they only preformed the 2nd act – Nicole’s daughter, Naomi came along. She and I enjoyed every minute of the afternoon. 


Nicole, Naomi, and I with a costume from Giselle
That evening Nicole and I sneaked out for some gourmet ice cream from Salt and Straw.  Salt and Straw is known for their ice cream which is handmade in small-batches using only all-natural dairy with the best local, sustainable and organic ingredients. I was intrigued by their strange and exotic flavor combinations…and of course I had to try some of the wackier flavors.

I sampled Bone Marrow and Smoked Cherry (delicious) and Pear with Blue Cheese (also delicious), but finally ordered Honey Balsamic Strawberry with Black Pepper (super delicious). 

Day Three – Shopping and Biscuits

On the third day Nicole and I explored her neighborhood (Alberta Arts), did some shopping, and had a wonderful lunch at Pine State Biscuits before I headed home.


The Reggie Deluxe at  Pine State Biscuits 

I’m not kidding you when I say the biscuit sandwich I had was one of the best things I’ve every eaten…It was really amazing. Fried chicken, bacon, cheese, a fried egg, and the best gravy I’ve ever had, all piled up on a delectable biscuit…heaven!

2 comments:

  1. Come back soon...there's so much more we need to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Looks like so much fun!!! But really, how can you eat like that and stay so slim? Glad you had a good time. :)
    Hi Nicole!

    ReplyDelete